Participation in Government

Unless otherwise designated by the Town Board, the polling place for the Town of Holland is the Town Hall located at W3005 County Road G, Cedar Grove, WI 53013.
If you are already registered to vote in the Town of Holland, you may request an absentee ballot by visiting www.myvote.wi.gov, or you can complete the Application for Absentee Ballot available for download HERE and send it to the Town Clerk by mail or email at clerk-treasurer@hollandwi.gov. Regardless of which method you use, you MUST include a copy of an acceptable form of photo identification, unless you recently voted absentee under your current voter registration and provided an ID at that time. The Clerk will mail the absentee ballot to you with an enclosed stamped envelope for returning the completed ballot. If you are not currently registered to vote in the Town of Holland, you must first visit www.myvote.wi.gov to complete a registration application or contact the Town Clerk about how to register.  You may then request an absentee ballot as noted above.
Please click here to be re-directed to the Wisconsin Elections Commission’s website to learn about the steps to take when you are in the hospital and wish to vote by absentee ballot. An application for an absentee ballot form can be found HERE.
Please click here to be re-directed to the Wisconsin Elections Commission’s website to learn about the steps to take when you are in the military and wish to vote by absentee ballot. An application for an absentee ballot form can be found HERE.
The Plan Commission meets the first Monday of each month, unless the first Monday of the month is a holiday or unless otherwise scheduled. If the first month of the month is a holiday, the meeting is most often held on the first Tuesday of the month. Please make sure to check this website for meeting dates and possible meeting cancellations. The meeting agenda or cancellation notice will be posted 24 hours prior to the meeting. The Town Board meets the second Monday of the month unless otherwise scheduled. All meetings are held in the Town of Holland Town Hall located at W3005 County Road G in Cedar Grove at 7:30 p.m., unless indicated otherwise on the notices for the meeting.  Meetings are posted at three standard locations within the Town, including at the Town Hall. You can also view meeting notices here.
The Town Clerk-Treasurer keeps regular office hours at the Holland Town Hall, located at W3005 County Road G in Cedar Grove, on Mondays from 5:00pm to 7:00pm, Tuesdays from 11:00am to 1:00pm, and Wednesdays from 8:00am to 10:00am. The Clerk-Treasurer is also available by appointment. In addition, you may contact the Clerk-Treasurer by email or phone.
The Town of Holland government has elected positions, appointed positions and hired positions.  The elected positions are four Town Board supervisory positions, the Town Board chair position, and the constable.  Either contact the Town Clerk for nomination papers or download the Nomination Paper for Nonpartisan Elections HERE.  Appointed positions include the Plan Commission, the Board of Appeals, the Weed Commissioner, Election Inspectors (poll workers), and the Clerk-Treasurer.
Simply contact the Town Chairman to express interest in an appointed position. The Chairman makes recommendations regarding appointed positions to the Town Board, which must then approve or reject the recommendation(s).
Contact the Town Clerk-Treasurer in writing to request that the records to be sent to you or to arrange a time to view the records in person.

Town Hall Rental

Government organizations, adults residents or non-residents, clubs and associations with certain restrictions may rent the Town Hall.  See the Town Hall Rental Agreement on the Town Hall Rentals page.
See the Town Hall Rentals page for specific contact information and rental fees. This agreement also identifies the responsibilities of the renter. The Rental Agreement and applicable fee, as listed on the agreement, must be submitted to the Town Clerk-Treasurer to reserve a date. You may contact the Clerk-Treasurer to ask about available dates.

Recycling and Trash Disposal

The recycling center is located at N652 County Road KW about 1/3 mile north of County Road RR.
The Township’s current contract for waste disposal services is with Harter’s Lakeside Disposal. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources guidance about what is recyclable can be found here. You may find more information about acceptable recyclables on this website HERE.  See below regarding recycling electronic appliances.
There may be a fee for this service, depending upon the type of electronic appliance.  View the Fee Schedule to locate the costs for recycling the various types of electronics.
Click here to see the Town’s current policy about disposal of yard waste and brush.
Occupants of single family and 2- to 4-family housing units located in the Town of Holland may use the recycling center.  No construction debris is accepted and no wastes or recyclable materials from businesses, including farms-related wastes, are accepted.
The Town of Holland does not have an ordinance specifically banning burning of refuse, but may regulate it under an ordinance prohibiting public nuisances under certain circumstances.  The Wisconsin DNR strongly discourages private home owners from burning their refuse and prohibits commercial business from such burning.  Learn more.
There are no fees for disposing of most household trash and most recyclables.  Fees do apply to items like large furniture items, kitchen appliances, dehumidifiers, air conditioners, and certain electronic devices.  These fees, along with a full list of all recyclables/wastes to which fees apply, are listed on the Fee Schedule.

Town Information

Town ordinances are in effect local laws applying specifically to the Town of Holland.  They are organized in two main sections: Administrative Legislation and General Legislation.  Administrative legislation sets the practices of the Town government while the general legislation regulates matters within the Township.  Examples of the latter include nuisances, noise, housing standards, and zoning, to name a few.  This link will take you to the Town of Holland ordinances on the General Code web site.  You can either look through the chapter headings to find the item of interest or use one of two different search tools found at the top of the ordinance page.
View Town of Holland ordinances.  At the upper left are three boxes: Code, New Laws, and Index.  Select “New Laws” to view a list of ordinances changes.
Please view the Fee Schedule for details on costs associated with licenses and permits.
Fireworks may not be used in the Town of Holland unless a permit is obtained in advance. Fireworks are defined as  “…anything manufactured, processed or packaged for exploding, emitting sparks or combustion which does not have another common use…”  Only items specifically listed as excluded from the definition of fireworks in Section 167.10 Wis Stats are not fireworks.  See Forms/Permits page for the fireworks permit application. The application and fee should be sent to the Town Clerk-Treasurer.

Amsterdam Park

Amsterdam Park is open from 4:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
No. Privately owned lots along the lake have exclusive use of the beach in front of their property to the water line.  You may walk within the water in front of private property but are not allowed to leave the water and walk on private property land.  Private property owners may seek trespassing charges.
You must have either a Daily Launch Permit or an Annual Launch Permit. The Annual permit is a sticker that can be purchased at the following locations: Cedar Grove Oasis (N905 Sauk Trail Rd, Cedar Grove, WI 53013), Hardware Hank (502 S Main St, Cedar Grove, WI 53013), or Daane Hardware (936 Center Ave, Oostburg, WI 53070).  The sticker must be displayed according to the instructions. A Daily sticker may be purchased at the park near the boat ramp.  The daily permit fee is paid by placing in a provided envelope and inserting into a locked box at this location.  The permit must be displayed by hanging it from the rear-view mirror.

Amsterdam Park boat launch permit information and instructions: 

Where to Purchase: Cedar Grove Oasis at N905 Sauk Trail Road, Hardware Hank in Cedar Grove, or Daane Ace Hardware in Oostburg
Where to display permit: Place on trailer near hitch
Resident of Cedar Grove, Oostburg or Holland: $60.00
Nonresident: $100.00

Where to purchase: At boat launch using form in mailbox and locked drop box
Where to display permit: Hang from towing vehicle’s interior mirror
Resident of Cedar Grove, Oostburg or Holland: $10.00
Nonresident: $20.00

Land Management and Zoning

Changing the zoning on your land is not done frequently. Rezoning is most often needed when there is a change in use, a land division, or a boundary line adjustment. If you would like to change the boundary lines of a parcel between your parcel and an adjacent parcel, you should contact the Town Clerk-Treasurer to discuss compliance with the Town’s ordinances under the proposed transaction. A change of use may involve the desire to keep animals on the property when this was not previously done and the zoning does not presently allow it.  Another change of use example is the desire to operate a business on a property.  Building a new home will often trigger the need to rezone the property prior to applying for a building permit.  You are encouraged to contact the Town Clerk-Treasurer for further details.  You may also attend any Plan Commission meeting and raise your question(s) in the first ‘Public Input’ period, which is near the beginning of the meeting.  See our Monthly Calendar.
Yes, you should be concerned about zoning.  The zoning classification, or district, establishes the uses that are allowed on the property.  You should be careful to accurately identify the current zoning and what uses are allowed in that district prior to making a land purchase.  See Instructions for Determining Zoning on our Resources page.  Search for permitted and conditional uses.  Conditional uses are not allowed unless specifically approved through a Conditional Use Permit issued by the Plan Commission.  Contact the Town Clerk-Treasurer for additional information.
For either minor or major land division, you will need to fill out a Plan Commission Application which can be found on the Forms/Permits page. The completed application should be submitted to the Town Clerk-Treasurer. Contact the Town Clerk-Treasurer to learn more about the requirements, fees, and deadlines for submitting a land division application.

Dog Licenses

Wisconsin Statutes (Sections 95.21(2), 174.05, and 174.07(1)(b)) require all dogs that are 5 (five) months of age or older to be licensed.  The owner of the dog must obtain a license annually prior to April 1st for the current year, OR, on or before the date the dog becomes 5 (five) months of age.   Failure to obtain a license prior to the April 1st deadline will result in a $7.00 late fee per license unless the owner acquired the dog within 30 days of the owner’s application for a dog license. A dog license may NOT be transferred from one dog to another. Dog licenses are obtained from the Town Clerk-Treasurer, typically at the same time the property taxes are paid in December or January, however, a dog license for the current year should be obtained on or before the date the dog becomes 5 (five) months of age. You may provide the required information by mailing it to W3005 County Road G, Cedar Grove, WI 53013, by depositing it the Town’s 24/7 drop box located at the Town Hall, or by visiting the Clerk-Treasurer during office hours.

The following information is required to obtain a dog license:

  1. Owner’s name, address, and telephone number
  2. Dog’s name, color, breed, and sex
  3. Proof of current rabies vaccination
  4. Applicable license fee payment by cash or check (non-neutered males or non-spayed females – $14.00; neutered males or spayed females – $7.00)
  5. A self-addressed stamped envelope (only needed if applying by mail or drop box)

Contact the Town of Holland Clerk-Treasurer with any questions.

Every owner of a dog more than five months of age on January 1, or attaining the age of five months during the license year, must pay the dog license tax and obtain a license. The license year commences on January 1 and ends the following December 31. If a dog attains the age of five months on July 1 or later, the license tax charged for this initial year shall be 1/2 the full-year license tax rate. If the owner fails to obtain a license prior to April 1, of each year or within 30 days of acquiring ownership of a licensable dog, or within 20 days of a dog attaining the age of five months, a late fee shall be charged. The Town Clerk-Treasurer shall collect the late fee established by resolution. Proof of rabies vaccination is required to obtain a dog license.

Lake Michigan Walk-In Access Areas

Public walk-in access areas to Lake Michigan include the land between the road right-of-way lines extending to the lake for Foster Road, Stokdyk-Ingelse Road, Van Ess Road and De Witt Road.  All land either side of the right-of-way lines is private property.  Use of private beaches is not allowed and private land owners can seek trespassing charges against those individuals who are trespassing.
Any member of the public may use these areas for activities allowed under the ordinances of the Town of Holland and during certain hours of the day.  See §252-13 and §252-14 of the Town of Holland ordinances.
Winter hours are 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., which run from November 1 to March 31.  Summer hours are 5:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., which run from April 1 to October 31.

Roads and Rights-of-Way

A driveway permit is needed to install a new driveway or a replacement driveway that is used either for access to a field or a home. To obtain a permit for a driveway on a County road (letter roads), please contact the Sheboygan County Highway Department. To obtain a permit for driveway on a Town road (named roads), contact the director of Public Works. The fee for a driveway permit on a Town of Holland road can be found on the Town’s fee schedule. The property owner is responsible for the purchase of the culvert.  Culverts can be purchased from the Director of Public Works for the Town of Holland.  Pricing varies on size, type and changing market conditions.
The only item that may be placed in a road right-of-way is a mail box, and these must meet certain requirements.  No plantings may be placed in the road right-of-way and no plowing or ditch work may be done.  See the Road Right-of-Way brochure found on the Resources page for additional information.  In some cases, ditch work may be allowed by a permit issued by the County for the lettered roadways and by the Town for named roads. There are restrictions on ditch work even with a permit.  Contact the Sheboygan County Highway Department for lettered highways. Contact the Director of Public Works for the Town for all named roads.
The Sheboygan County Sheriff’s Department should be notified using the non-emergency number (920) 459-3111.  The Sheriff’s Department will notify the appropriate department to respond.